POP3Client behind a firewall

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Nov 19 11:06:04 UTC 2004

Am 19.11.2004 um 11:57 schrieb German Arduino:

> Hi Guys:
>
> Trying to use POP3Client example in a common ADSL or dial-up internet
> connection works ok, but trying behind a proxy I get a
> "ConnectionTimedOut: Cannot connect to 66.54.152.7:110" (being the ip
> correct).
>
> Does exist some way to use POP3Client behind a proxy (as with
> HTTPSocket>>useProxyServerNamed)?

I use ssh-forwarding for sending mail. This should work for POP, too.

For SMTP, I do:

     sudo ssh user at some.machine.org  -L 25:mail.domain.ch:25

where "some.machine" is a computer that has access to the mail server
(e.g. it's on the right side of the firewall).

Then just use "localhost" in squeak as your SMTP. For POP, you just
need to change the port (110, I think).

The good thing with this is that everyting is transmitted encrypted. So
no problems with transmitting passwords.

     Marcus