auto-install on demand (was Minimal Image (Re: [ANN] wxSqueak update))

j g jimg1968 at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Nov 20 00:32:05 UTC 2004

"Install on demand" feature is helpful. With that newly intalled Squeak can start with a minimal image and then auto-grow, perhaps with a tip to the user/developer.( it's different from intall a package then use some thing).
ST/X has some kind of this years ago.

SmallSqueak <smallsqueak at rogers.com> wrote:

Rob,

> I haven't tried shrinking an image with wxSqueak filed in, so I'm
> not sure what the problem is here. I took a quick look at a minimal
> 2.2 image and found a few missing classes (WordArray, DateAndTime),
> but I suspect it could be made to work.

It's worth a try, because this is the defacto standard
minimal image.

> Is a minimal image for 3.7 available somewhere?

It's on the Guides' agenda to produce a minimal image .

> I think it would be easier to build up from a
> minimal image than to shrink a full one.

I agree.

An official minimal image would also give us
a common code base to evolve.

Cheers,

PhiHo.

Best Regards,