What is the right way to localize squeak 3.8 image?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Nov 24 23:10:01 UTC 2004

  Hello,

> Frankly spoken I think that Squeak is still not ready for
> localization, but you can edit the font if this helps.

  Ah, with some knowledge, it is ready, I think.

> For Lithuanian you may wish to use either Unicode or
> windows-1257 or iso-8859-4.
> On SqueakMap you find an application "MorphicFontEditor"
> which can be used to modify the Squeak StrikeFonts. This is
> a feasible approach if you want to create fonts that support
> one of the encodings  windows 1257 or iso-8859-4.
> Creation of fonts for Unicode is much more problematic:
> We still do not have  tool to edit StrikeFonts with more than 256
> glyphs. Squeak 3.8 is designed to use such fonts to display
> Unicode strings, but I think that this still does not work -
> at least I did not succeed to create or to use a large font.

  Yes.  You need to write some code to handle fonts.  It wouldn't be
too hard, though.

> As for keyboard support, I do not have an advice - regrettably.

  The Symbol font support I recently posted may give you the sample
code.  I would consider to add another language tag for latin-4
languages.

  I don't forget about Jan B. Krejci's request, too.  I want to try to
do the writing code part some time soon (really.)

-- Yoshiki