spontaneous menu change

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 25 13:34:30 UTC 2004

Chris, I haven't seen exactly what you describe.  Perhaps next time it
happens, you can do some extra tests?

	1. When you get into the broken state, is it possible to save an image
by popping up a new world menu?  If so, then people might be able to
look at your image and see what is happening.

	2. Can you still use text editors?  That is, can you click back into
the workspace and keep typing?

	3. Does the menu you pop up truly not have a "more" at the bottom of
it?  Usually if a menu has multiple pages, all pages say "more" at the
bottom so that you can get back to the first page again.

Perhaps you could put a list of things-to-test in a workspace on your
Squeak screen somewhere, so that you'll have the list handy next time it
happens!

> A related question: is it possible to hand-code ".st" files and then
> just file them in?

Yes.  Just do it.  There's no trick at all; it works exactly like you
describe.

> All this aside, I'm enjoying smalltalk and squeak.

You will miss quite a lot of Squeak's goodies by programming in a text
editor.  For example, how will you know what methods are available in
each class?  How will you test your code?  How will you debug it?  How
will you try out methods that you see?  How will you dig into other
people's applications to see how they set things up?

You can't do all these things in a separate text editor.  You need a
dynamic programming environment, and Squeak is just about the only one
around.

But, you can work that way if it is that much more comfortable.

Lex