About removing global variables

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Thu Nov 25 17:21:49 UTC 2004

Stef,

In PocketSmalltalk globals are replaced by class variables in Object...
But, in PocketSmalltalk there is a set of things done behind the scene
developpers don't seem to have access to them.

Now, if we make the decision to remove gloabals we need to bootstrap the
system somehow. Eg. how will we kow that Smalltalk refers to the global
system dictionary?

Actually, I didn't think a lot about it. But, I have the feeling that we
still need globals but need some extra scoping hierarachical mechanism:
a kind of namespaces where the root namespace would named... Smalltalk...

Noury

--

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org