Where would I post a BIG project?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Nov 27 06:59:15 UTC 2004

  Hello,

> I'm thinking of using the Edict dictionaries (
> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/j_edict.html ) to make a Japanese IME so
> that you can enter Kanji (chinese derived) characters from the keyboard.
>
> The Edict dictionaries are Japanese/English dictionaries, so other features
> are possible, like Japanese entry for english speakers that shows English
> meanings as well as choices of Kanji characters.

  That would be helpful.  Some people did a Squeak-only
kanji-converter based on SKK, but showing the English meaning is not
something an ordinary Japanese user would imagine to implement ^^;
(i.e. would want to have)

> What I'm wondering is this.  I can't post a change set that's 20 megabytes
> (or however large the dictionaries would be after loading), and I can't tell
> the users to just download the dictionary from the Edict site because it's
> in EUC-JP format and needs to be converted to UTF-8 before it can be used...

  Not really.  Do you notice EUCJPTextConverter class?  If you write
a code snipplet something look like:

  file := FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'file'.
  file converter: EUCJPTextConverter new.
  contents := file contentsOfEntireFile.

it should give you proper "contents".

(However, I agree that it would be easier for the users to have only one
file to download.)

> I have a word processor that can do that conversion, but I can't expect
> users to have that.

  Squeak only solution would be nice.  Something like FreeWnn
connectivity would be nice, too.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki