[BUG] 3.86461 85 obsolete classes from m17n work?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Nov 27 07:02:26 UTC 2004

Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:

>   Tim,
>
> > The 3.8 6461 image has 85 obsolete classes in it; all of them appear to
> > be related to m17n type work. Names like
> > AnObsoleteUnicodeCombiningDiacritical and AnObsoleteUnicodeMongolian
> > are rather suggestive.
>
>   I couldn't confirm this in the versions (3.8b 6461 nor in  the 3.8g
> 6475). #browseObsoleteReferences is the one you used to check it?
A plain downaloaded 6461 image (not an older on I updated myself),
using 'Smalltalk obsoleteClasses'

>   The set of Unicode class>>leadingCharFor<n>: used to hold the
> references to those classes, but these methods are gone now and
> shouldn't leave the obsolete classes.
Ah - I've noticed in the past that a lot of stuff can be held onto by
ChangeRecords which seem to keep actual old method objects around. If
the method had all these classes involved in a literal, they'd still be
needed until the image is fully cleaned up. Personally I'm not at all
keen on keeping old CM objects around.

tim
Programs: What software used to be, back when we knew how to write it.