POP3Client behind a firewall

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 27 15:02:36 UTC 2004

German Arduino <gsa at softhome.net> wrote:
> I mean, in a corporate network, each pc of the net goes to internet by
> a proxy server (as Squid or ISA Server). These are mainly http proxies,
> but in the same PCs (that only goes to Internet using this proxy) others
> pop mail clients works ok (Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird).
>
> Celeste don't works, giving the same error that I get with POP3Client,
> but I'm almost sure that in the past, sometime in some Squeak version
> I get Celeste working behind the proxy.

Without a firewall, you just talk to the network.  That's what the
Internet was designed to support, and it all works beautifully.  With a
firewall, you must consider each individual service.  They all have
their own approach to proxying, so there is not one answer for any of
them.

It is common that there are actually multiple computers floating around
in your network, and you are supposed to use different computers for
different puproses.  The proxy server that runs Squid in order to allow
WWW connections, might be a different server from the one that runs a
POP server and lets you download your mail; in turn, there may be a
third server that runs an SMTP server for sending out newly written
mail.

So perhaps you have specified the wrong server for POP?

-Lex