Where would I post a BIG project?

Joshua Scholar jscholar at access4less.net
Sat Nov 27 13:21:19 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoshiki Ohshima" <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
To: "Joshua Scholar" <jscholar at access4less.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 4:14 AM
Subject: Re: Where would I post a BIG project?

>   Hello,
>
> > Do you know where I can find a general purpose squeak image with an IME
> > installed or where I could find smalltalk code for the IME or, better
yet,
> > is there there a project in a squeak-map server?
>
>   Did you get my (other) email about SqueakNihongo6.1?  It is at:

Yes, I did install SqueakNihongo6.1.  I also tried the internationalized
version of Squeak 3.6.  And I crashed Squeak 3.7 trying to internationalize
it... And I downloaded the beta of Squeak 3.8 because I thought it was
internationalized (it has German and some other languages but not Japanese).

Perhaps the problem is that I'm using the English version of Window 2000
with the "Microsoft IME 2000 (Japanese)".

There are other problems with Japanese input that I've heard might go away
if I install the full Japanese language menu system instead of just the
input method (convert my installation to Japanese Windows).  My Windows 2000
CD died, though. I'll have to get a working CD before I can try that.
Currently Japanese input works in many programs but not in all programs.

> http://squeak.hp.infoseek.co.jp/squeak/SqueakNihongo6.1.zip
>
> and it just should let you input the Japanese text from Japanese
> Windows, Mac and I think Linux.  I haven't tried it with non-Japanese
> Windows, so there may be some problem, though.
>
> > Except for cutting text out word processor that has an optional
Shift-JIS
> > clipboard feature and pasting it into Squeak, I couldn't find any way to
> > enter Japanese characters.  For some reason even cutting and pasting
> > Japanese text out of Microsoft Word and most other programs didn't
work -
> > apparently it wasn't Shift-JIS in the clipboard or wasn't tagged
properly.

>   That is interesting.  So, I guess you are using SqueakNihongo6.1?
> The Windows' native clipboard encoding on non-Japanese Windows must be
> set otherwise.  On thing we could do is write different
> "InputInterpreter" and "ClipboardInterpreter" and use them for such
> platforms.

That would be good.

> > I would appreciate any help you could give me about how to install SKK.
> > Maybe there's already an IME installed in the SqueakNihongo image and I
just
> > didn't figure out how to invoke it.
>
>   Ah, as far as I know, there is no such image.  The problem with the
> Squeak-SKK code is that hasn't been maintained long time...
>
> -- Yoshiki

Is the source for Squeak SKK still available?

I'm guessing that users prefered to continue to use whatever IME they were
already using.  That's understandable.

Still, if SKK is useable enough, it would be a nice option for
Japanese-teaching educational software.  It's already asking a lot of users
to make them download a huge Squeak image.  Asking them to install an IME on
top of that would be too much for many people.

As I said I don't mind writing a bilingual IME eventually, but I wonder if
people would use it.

Since Squeak is educational software, translating versions aren't a bad
idea. An environment that helps with translation with pop-up translations
and translating/multilingual-dictionary IMEs might create a new niche for
Smalltalk.

By the way, I'm forwarding this post to the developer's list.

Joshua Scholar