spontaneous menu change

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Nov 28 00:21:19 UTC 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Thursday 25 November 2004 8:34 am, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
>> As Bert suggeted, this sounds like Linux VM problem. I just tried on
>> Windows and no problem there.
>>
>> It's hapenning on all VM's on my Suse 8.1, Squeak VM 3.7b-5 #2.
>
> I don't know that this is a "problem"; we're not even looking at caps
> lock, as
> I recall.
>
> Instead, we are seeing the SHIFT key being pressed while the CAPS LOCK
> is on
> (that is, it is acting as a SHIFT lock).
>
> And many menus (the world menu and the text editor menus) do something
> different when SHIFT is on.

Yes, it sounds like Squeak is probably seeing Shift being pressed when
the Caps Lock is on, which would explain the behavior.  But it's still
incorrect behavior, it should not appear to Squeak that Shift is being
pressed.  Caps Lock should only cause alphabetic letters to appear
capitalized, it shouldn't cause any other keys to be shifted (such as
"1" turning into a "!"), or any changed menu behavior, inside Squeak or
outside.

So, log it in Mantis as a bug.  (I guess I'll log it if no one else
already has.)  The fact that the bug doesn't happen on Windows & Mac OS
X makes it likely that it's a bug in the Linux VM... perhaps that VM is
specifically turning Caps Lock into Shift when it shouldn't, or
something.  At least, I assume that other Linux apps do not treat Caps
Lock exactly the same as holding down Shift...

- Doug