Monticello and Teams (was: Re: DB-oreinted application)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sun Nov 28 13:15:15 UTC 2004

Am 27.11.2004 um 18:32 schrieb Marcus Denker:

> Am 27.11.2004 um 09:48 schrieb Blake:
>
>> -> We'll have at least 4-5 people working on the same application.
>> One of the nightmares of the current environment is that it was not
>> designed for collaborative work. (I confess also that STers disdain
>> for files is not one I understand. Working in an image makes some
>> things very convenient and other things very inconvenient.) I've read
>> a lot of caveats regarding Monticello and I'm not quite sure how well
>> it would work. Anyone with experience here? How will Croquet factor
>> in, given that it's all about collaboration? (I can see certain
>> elements of Croquet being very useful for working out bugs and
>> brainstorming, but I don't know about source control.)
>>

> Monticello should be very good for managing the code of 4-5
> developers. Much better then changesets.

Yes, we're using it now in a project of that size. MC is quite usable
now. You might want to make many smaller packages without dependencies,
otherwise merging is really slow, and you get a lot of useless versions
even though only the prerequisites changed. Instead, we just load the
newest version of each package, which works fine in a small team where
we can immediately sort out any problems.

I posted a couple of enhancements for supporting this style of work to
the MC list. In particular, packages are highlighted which have a newer
version available in the repository.
	http://mail.wiresong.ca/pipermail/monticello/2004-November/000112.html

- Bert -