[ANN] eCompletion - code completion inspired by eclipse

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Nov 29 07:31:10 UTC 2004

hi ruben

I hope that we will have soon the simple typer of roel so we could get
already some
nice type information for instance variables.

> Stef, Thanks for your feedback.
>
> The instance variable types are only detected in the Debugger, as a
> context is provided. In the case of Browser, Workspace etc. only "type
> suggesting" names do the job. But for instance variables this is not
> something people use.

strange because each time you send a message to an instance variable you
would like to have a smart completion too.
For local variables I guess that a good heuristics to find the class is
to look
for what is in front of a new method :). Are you doing that?

> I planed to add the guessing of instance variables types for the next
> version in the following way: Analyze the initialize method with the
> RBParser. You see a solution in analyzing the bytecode, is this what
> is working in Dolphin Completion?

I do not know. roel coded what he did in SOUL (kind of prolog)
and hard-coded it in VisualWorks and his demoe last week was nice
so I want to have that in squeak.

> If you pass some pointers, I would very happy to try it out and
> eventually integrate it in eCompletion.

on cincom store you have a package called roel typer ro something like
that. All the code is available (ie one class and its tests :))