Connecting to Oracle (was: ODBC connection)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:08:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:40:33 -0500, Welch, Ronald P (US SSA)

<ronald.p.welch at baesystems.com> wrote:

> Avi,
>
> I assume pulling the Oracle support over to Squeak from
> the VW port would still leave us with the synchronous
> connection problem right? That is unless the "proper
> Oracle support" was also ported over from as well VW
> correct (or written from scratch, of course)? I am assuming
> VW does not have the synchronous connection problem.
> Is that a valid assumption?

Correct on all counts.  I don't think porting the Oracle driver from
VW is an option, though, for licensing reasons and because I imagine
their FFI/plugin API is quite different.  So it would have to be from
scratch.

The OCI protocol isn't published anywhere, is it?  It would be great
to have a pure-Squeak client like the JDBC "thin" Oracle driver, but
it would probably involve some heavy reverse engineering...

Avi