[BUG] Conversion of String to Number don't check negatives

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 1 21:32:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 06:32:43AM -0300, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> On 29/09/04 22:55, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:40:30AM -0300, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> >> I wonder how long exists serious bug like this.
> >> Open Workspace.
> >> Type something like.
> >> '-94' asInteger
> >> Inspect it, and see
> >
> > This bug was introduced Sept 1, 2000. Prior to that, the String>>asInteger
> > method did not exist. I entered this in the Mantis bug tracker (but I
> > recorded it as a "minor" bug).
> >
> > Dave
> Dave:
> With all respect, I disagree what is a minor bug.
> What about reading legacy text data saved in disk for using into Squeak ?
> Lucky us what no Bank is doing something like this.

Maybe you are right. I just wanted to put it on Mantis and see if someone
would react to it. Someone did, so that's good :)

I am also happy to see that a "minor" bug got fixed quickly. That means
that people will not be tempted to call their favorite bugs "critical"
in order to get them fixed.

Come to think of it, there is a bug/fix in BFAV right now that I think is
"critical," but it has not gotten much attention. I think that I will
change it to "minor" so that it will be resolved faster ;-))

Dave