About lonnnnng tests

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Oct 3 17:57:32 UTC 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 3:12 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> I'm creating some tests for the decompiler (inspired by the one in
> SystemDictionary) and they are realllllly slow.
> So I'm thinking to create some kinds of SlowTestCase that could be
> turned off/on on demand. But I would like to know if someone already
> proposed a solution to that problem.

I think this is pretty common with unit tests... we had a similar
situation where I used to work.  I think we ended up just having a
different test suite for the slow tests, and they were run nightly,
instead of being run whenever you checked in code.  But having a
SlowTestCase class might be an okay way to handle it too.

There are some other slow tests already in the Squeak tests which
should probably be moved to a separate batch of tests which don't have
to be run as often. (such as the PNG tests, they seem quite slow)
Although there may be a few slow tests which exercise a really
important/broad area of Squeak, which you'd want to keep with the
regular tests.

- Doug