Whisker 1.01beta, and a simple process for handling SqueakMap releases

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Oct 3 20:32:38 UTC 2004

I just put a new 1.01beta release of the Whisker Browser out on
SqueakMap, for those interested.  This fixes a few bugs related to
actions on instance variables when using 3.7, among other things.

But mainly, I wanted to mention the way I'm releasing this on
SqueakMap... I think this could be a useful way to do things for some
other packages too.

I'm still planning on adding a few more fixes to this release, so I've
named this one 1.01beta, and I've left it unpublished.  I'll probably
put up a newer version sometime soon, replacing the .cs.gz file pointed
to by 1.01beta.  And then sometime after that, if it looks pretty
solid, I'll rename the release version number from 1.01beta to 1.01,
and then mark it as published.  (SqueakMap lets you rename unpublished
release version numbers.)  After that, I won't change anything with
that release anymore, I'd just create a new release if I needed to.

This way, since "1.01beta" is unpublished and shows up in the SM loader
in parentheses, it's pretty clear that it's a beta release which is not
quite finished, but is still available for people to try (if the
previous version is completely broken for example).

This might be a good way for something like the BFAV package releases
to be handled.  IMHO it's a bit of a pain to have to go to SqueakSource
to get the very latest version of a package like BFAV, if you're not
used to using MC on a regular basis.  (Especially if the last stable
version on SM is broken by something in the update stream.)  I believe
there's a button or something in SqueakSource that lets you publish a
new release directly to SqueakMap?  It'd also be nice to have a button
to just put out the latest SqueakSource code, overwriting into an
unpublished release on SqueakMap.  (Maybe this works already?)

Perhaps this was the intent behind Goran's published/unpublished scheme
anyway, but I thought I'd offer up these details as one way to do
things.

- Doug

p.s. Actually, it looks like you can rename the version number for a
*published* release on SqueakMap, too... which seems like it probably
shouldn't be allowed.  Add to Goran's low priority to-do list? ;)