SqueakMap down?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Oct 7 13:52:48 UTC 2004

Hi John and all!

John Pierce <john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> SqueakMap seems really broken now.  Is someone working on this
> problem?

Yes, it was broken indeed. The server SM Squeak process couldn't access
the filesystem (which I think is an NFS mount) because a storage server
had been rebooted (or something like that, Cees knows details). So the
SM virtual server (which also runs BFAV) needed a reboot - but for some
reason SSH was also down, so neither Ken nor I could get to it remotely.

And to make things more complicated, Cees is on a holiday on a bike
somewhere in the alps. :)

But I got hold of him on his phone and he made sure the machine was
rebooted. And now all looks fine with SM (don't know about BFAV etc).

>  I really need to get a new image prepared today if possible
> -- it isn't life threatening, but I do want to roll a new client image
> if possible.

I am sorry for all the grief caused by this "outage" and can only:

1. Make sure we get mirror capability in place in the next version.
(already planned)
2. Tell you all how you can preload your cache so that you don't depend
on the SM server.

Number 2 will be in another email to the list shortly. :)

regards, Göran