Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Thu Oct 7 16:52:32 UTC 2004

> > I would like to know which changes in unstable update stream will be
> > considered stable/unstable.
>
> The rule of thumb is to include fixes but not extensions.

In this case I very much *disagree* with your proposal.

Let me state my point of view:

The community decided about an ultra-stable 3.8 release over ends of
July:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-July/080375.html

Since then the plan about 3.8-ultra-stable was paused until yesterday
you told us your proposal.

Meanwhile the community moved in another directing in absence of answers
from you.  Talking for myself I changed my plans about Small-Land's
release delaying it for weeks and I invested time and effort merging my
changes in unstable stream to join 3.8.

Note that more than 2 months had elapsed since the original idea of
ultraConservative-shortRelease for 3.8. That means we spent more time
waiting that the time we decided to invest on 3.8UltraStable (As it was
2 months).

BTW, Did you notice all the changes in 3.8 unstable are very stable and
all are configurable using preferences?.

-- Diego