M17n on X11 (was Re: m17n Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Oct 8 12:17:11 UTC 2004

  Bert,

> >   I'm not sure what kind of keycode is passed to the Squeak VM
> > running on X11 Unix/Linux environments,
>
> MacRoman by default. The latest Unix VM allows you to set the encoding
> used:
>
> $ squeak -help|grep enc
>    -encoding <enc>       set the internal character encoding (default:
> MacRoman)
>    -pathenc <enc>        set encoding for pathnames (default: UTF-8)
>    -textenc <enc>        set encoding for external text (default: UTF-8)

  Yes.  This causes some headache for Japanese users.  The latest VM
people use is still the modified version of 3.6g-2, as far as I know.

> > but the non conversion option of Squeak VM should do what you want it
> > to do.
>
> What "non conversion option" do you mean? The -nointl one? AFAICT, this
> is already on by default.

  I answered to Jan in separated email, but I meant -nointl option.
"no intl" doesn't mean that the VM doesn't mask out some bits,
though.  It still may require some VM modifications.

-- Yoshiki