[ANN] WriteBarrier

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Oct 9 20:27:32 UTC 2004

Am 07.10.2004 um 15:10 schrieb Marcus Denker:

> Am 07.10.2004 um 13:54 schrieb Avi Bryant:
>
>> Now that SqueakMap's back up, I can post this:
>>
>> WriteBarrier provides a way to watch for changes to the state of
>> individual objects.  It's intended for use with persistence,
>> transactional, or indexing mechanisms where you're managing a
>> discrete set of objects of varied classes, and want to be notified
>> when any of them are modified.  I expect to modify my GOODS client to
>> make use of this to speed up commits; it might also be useful for
>> Magma, OmniBase, GLORP, etc.
>>
>> It's quite fast and reasonably transparent, and has enough tests that
>> I'm pretty confident in it, but it still does nasty voodoo stuff and
>> so please test it before you load it into an image you care about.
>>
>> It requires Squeak 3.7 (and not 3.6 or 3.8, because neither includes
>> the BytecodeGenerator it uses).
>>

> which reminds me to put the BytecodeGenerator back into the unstable
> release... will come.

The SqueakMap package "Compiler" now has the latest version of the new
Compiler, with IRBuilder and BytecodeGenerator, (IRBuilder was hacked
to support non-Closure blocks)

Note that this installs the whole closurecompiler, but does not hook in
into the system in any way, so it's great for those who use parts of
the
infrastructure like IRBuilder.

      Marcus