Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Oct 10 13:24:57 UTC 2004

Am 10.10.2004 um 13:35 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

>> For the future, I would like to see two things:
>>
>>  1) More communication between the foundet projects and between the
>> community and the projects
>>  2) More involvement of the projects in the day-to-day Bug-fixing
>> process and release coodination of squeak.org Squeak.
>
> Me too because I think that one person spending one hour every two or
> three days to help would make a real impact.
>
> We still need a Etoy guide. I will not harvest any fixes related to
> Etoy anymore since I do not know if this is good or not, or breaking
> something.

One thing we should really think about is how we manage the
developement of the base Squeak System in the future.
If you look at the structure now, we see that there are some Guides,
not doing that much actually, because they are (mostly)
just hobby-squeakers.

Strangely enough, nobody of those who rely on Squeak for fundet
projects or running companys are involved in any way.
Is that good or bad? The only thing I see is that the development and
planning of squeak.org Squeak is quite badly out
of sync with all major projects.

What about having the big projects be part of the Guides with one
developer/representative and make sure that these
guys talk to each other, and even: Meet face to face regularly, if
possible.

IMHO that would require a commintment of all those people to put a
certain amount of developer hours into
the booring stuff (Bug tracking/resolving, harvesting, discussing
schedules, setting them up and take care that
they are met). So projects would "pay" with developer hours for making
sure that the further development is in
sync with their project.

I think that something like that could bring some more professionalism
into the whole game.

      Marcus