Update stream -> MC (was: Re: About a working group on CS->MC)

danielv at tx.technion.ac.il danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Sun Oct 10 14:30:54 UTC 2004

Ok, did a first shot at it.
Some background on proposals to Squeak development:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3864

UnstableSqueak main page:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3865

which links to another page about more benefits of using MC instead of
the update stream.

I think the next step is to add some mid-term goals, people that are
interested should join.

BTW, the experiment as I understand it now is for people to do an
experimental fork in Unstable Squeak, by participants including stuff
they want in it. But forks/versions don't happen in a vacuum - we need
some limited goal to give it purpose. I'd propose the following:

The first release of Unstable Squeak should focus on extendibility - it
should include some of those extension mechanisms (like Services)
floating around. It should make it possible for various packages that
currently override stuff in Squeak to get integrated stop doing so.

Does this make sense?

Daniel