"just hobby-squeakers" (was "Proposal for Squeak 3.8")

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Tue Oct 12 08:49:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:26:13 -0700, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

>         Second, I don't think it's at all clear that paid Squeakers
> contribute more or less than unpaid ones (in any dimension: time,
> energy, code quality, etc.), and the very question is pointless.
> Belittling either group is unconstructive; please don't go there. :)

Although I didn't feel belittled, I think it's fair to point out that
"hobbyists" can propel a language community. Today's hobbyist is
tomorrow's professional.

I am a professional programmer, but not a professional Squeaker. I'd like
to be a pro-Squeaker and am investigating its suitability for my purposes,
and I'm also looking into the viability of using Squeak as a teaching
platform. (I confess I don't like E-Toys much for various reasons I won't
digress into in this thread.)

Since I'm in a position to heavily influence--if not outright decide--the
tools used in certain professional projects, and therefore (to a large
degree) my own future job satisfaction, I take this hobby pretty seriously.