[ENH] Squeak Installer

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 22:45:22 UTC 2004

> I haven't had time to look at this but if it uses SM the way it ought to
> - then SM uses the client cache so if the releases are there then it
> will not need a connection.

I use the following code to install each SM package:

  SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: packageName autoVersion: version

I also preceed the installation of all the SM packages with a call to:

  SMSqueakMap default loadFull.

So if that is the "correct" way to engaging SM then I guess I am covered.

> Further - this mechanism for SM can be integrated into SM if you want
> to. We can take a look at it as soon as I get my dependency stuff
> properly running.

That is a nice idea.  I think the only goofy thing you'd have to
consider is that conceptually I think it is just as important to
provide a way to install MCZ packages as seemlessly as SM packages.  I
cover both cases with the same simplistic interface.  I am not sure
you'd want to incorporate that aspect into SM.

Honestly, SM packages (if I am installing them correctly) seem to only
require one line of code and so the merits of this system are not
appreciated if it solely automated SM packages.  I found the real
value of this SqueakInstaller is automating MC package setup /
installations as that takes more like 10 lines of code.  Also --
suppressing inform messages and auto-answering questions spawned by
either SM or MCZ packages is the other real advantage of
SqueakInstaller.

Regards,

John
--
If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it. --
Albert Einstein