Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Oct 13 04:24:07 UTC 2004

Hi Diego,

> Who will work on 3.8 release and when?

Michael would be the head for integration with Yoshiki at the helm for any
more complex m17n issues (AFAIK, this just works out for all of us in
preparation of OOPSLA). Ned and I would probably do some "go and look over
bugs and fixes" stuff. And of course we'd hope for help from as many people
as possible but we're willing to deal organizationally with these issues if
we have to (e.g., like I said I don't consider it to be our problem to
actually *fix* anything - just to make sure that fixes get looked at and
aren't forgotten).

> And who will work on 3.9 release and when?

That is a good question. If we time it right, then the work could partially
overlap. For example, the work on 3.9 might focus on anything that needs to
be fixed, changed, whatever to get in sync with the Small-Land release but
no more. Who exactly would work on this I cannot say since I can't say where
most of the work would actually be. For 3.8 (the m17n release) it's fairly
clear that we need to make sure where the issues (and solutions are). I have
no good grasp on the Small-Land integration for 3.9.

> If we spent 2 months just waiting for answers, how is supposed we can
> agree on any schedule?

That's the €1,000,000 question isn't it?! ;-) The only way to say for sure
is to actually agree and do things. And I realize that we screwed up here
over the last two months and we're eager to fix this.

> We can just rearrange the everybody's schedules based on the demand of
> one part of the community.

I understand this. And get me right, my proposal wasn't a "demand" - it was
an attempt to see if we can still have the release that we're mostly
interested in, one that is in sync with Squeakland without major
modifications to Squeakland.

Cheers,
  - Andreas