Metaclasses?

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Wed Oct 13 22:32:44 UTC 2004

Hi all.

I'm getting confused. This is an actual problem I've come across in DPON
(my vapourware project).

Now, in DPON, objects can be replicated. E.g. a Symbol (like #me) can be
replicated. To do so, you need to implement

Symbol class>>replicationAlgorithm

to return the replication algorithm. Classes themselves also need to be
replicated. In that case, I implement

Symbol class>>replicationAlgorithm

but... then Metaclass>>replicationAlgorithm gets called. Fair enough...
a Metaclass is the class of a Class. But, in Squeak 3.7:

Symbol class = Metaclass (print it...)---> false.

and...

[Symbol class isKindOf: Class] ---> false.
[Metaclass isKindOf: Class] ---> true.

Hmm.. but if I inspect [Symbol class], I'm looking at Metaclass.

Could somebody explain this to me please?

Michael.