potential new user interested in current applications/research...

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu Oct 14 18:47:49 UTC 2004

"Michael L Kornegay" <michael.kornegay at mlksys.atlanta.ga.us> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to swiki or other sites that may
> list interesting applications or research that is
> currently "using" Squeak as its platform?
Oh yes, Squeak is  used for active research, but
reports are not stored on a central page.

Here is what I remember:

*Piccola, www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Piccola/
  (a declarative language)
*Scheme, http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel/scheme.html
  (something beautiful for Lovers of LISP)
*Traits, http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3059
   http://scgwiki.iam.unibe.ch:8080/SCG/544
  (a new proposal to compose classes, it is similar to
   multiple inheritance)
*Siren http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1403
    (The Siren system is a general-purpose music and sound
           composition, processing, performance, and analysis system)
*GeoMaestro http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
   (also about creation of music)
* Micro Seeker (Micro Autonomous Underwater Vehicle)
           http://www.huv.com
* OODB
  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3492
  http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/goods.html,
  This is Goods, an object-oriented database framework
  (and the dissertation of Konstantin Alexandrovic Knizhnik)
* work about web servers:
  I think this is Seaside http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2272

There are certainly other researchprojects that I do not
remember right now. My apologies go to those whose
work is not mentioned in this list.

I think also that there are some unfinished projects that
will be published sooner or later, but what is available
is more than enough reading for one night :-)

> It would  be nice to add a page highlighting such applications,
> research, and so on to one of the swiki's or elsewhere.

This is a beautiful idea.

> I have briefly looked at EToys, and plan to look at
> Croquet.  But have not seen other examples.
>
> Thanks,
> mlk

Greetings, Boris