Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Oct 14 20:04:57 UTC 2004

>> Andreas I discussed a lot with marcus and others and I think that the
>> communication should be improved.
>
> I certainly agree - if I only knew where and how. The trouble is that
> when I'm on the road I'm typically in meetings back to back and only
> read Emails once or twice per day (and won't spent the two hours it
> would take me to respond to all the ones that I "should" respond
> to...) So it is sometimes really hard for me to catch up with the
> amount of stuff that goes on here (given that I've been "home" for
> maybe two weeks in the last two months doesn't help either...) The
> best chance for us to talk about this would've been at ESUG and there
> we actually did talk a little about it (not enough I will admit) but
> that leaves those people out who aren't there (which can be fairly
> annoying). I'm open for any proposals that may help improve the
> situation - preferredly those that do not require my personal
> attention ;-)

I know and understand. I started to travel like a mad man too and this
is not good for internal energy :)
The first level of communication is that:

	- We need a Tweak (a guy knowing what will happen to tweak ;)) to help
harvesting, pushing in the unstable stream
	and preparing the migration that I hope, prey for....
	- We need an Etoyer to make sure that we are not breaking stuff. (but
this is now months that we ask for that without success)
	- then try to have some better plan (for example when are the etoys
release due,
	how tweak, croquet, squeak interacts), What I see now is that Croquet
is built suing tweak on top of extended Squeak VM.
	when can we get a Tweak for Squeak version in Squeak and kill Morphic
:)

	all kind of other information that will help people to understand and
make plan on their own :)

 From our part (the SCGers) we would like to be considered not anymore
as cleaners but as "Change Enabler" Tm.
This is why we will help the process but focus on essential changes
that will make possible to changes and create
a better squeak:
	better compiler (using anthony excellent work)
	byte-code edition (improving IRBuilder)

Stef