Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 20

Andres Valloud sqrmax at cox.net
Sat Oct 16 23:16:26 UTC 2004

Hello Stéphane,

Saturday, October 16, 2004, 12:27:43 PM, you wrote:

sd> But try to design a good static type system in presence of
sd> polymorphism and late binding. I gave up on this idea, this kind
sd> of beast never helped me.

I agree with your conclusion.

sd> Now I like the idea of gilad bracha on pluggable type system: The
sd> idea in a nutshell is to have OPTIONAL type systems (ownership,
sd> ...) that you can use to browse the code but that are NOT used at
sd> all for checking or defining the language semantics. Following
sd> animorphicSmalltalk. We are waiting to get a good guy to try this
sd> idea on Smalltalk.

My 2 cents: since we'd do that to get performance, and 90% of the time
is spent on less than 10% of the code, we should only see the optional
type tags in less than 10% of the code - otherwise it has no value.

Andres.