Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 20

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Mon Oct 18 02:38:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:24:42 -0700, Alejandro F. Reimondo
<aleReimondo at smalltalking.net> wrote:

> Imagine that we have a powerful annotation type system,
>
> and people loose the interest of giving good names
>
> to arguments...

I agree with your message, except for this. I'm sorry, that's just silly.
In a traditional statically-typed language, you'd do something like this:

function TCollection.Move(From: Integer; To: Integer): TObject;

What traditional languages have lacked is the ability to put from: and to:
in the source code. But these days, with code completion, you actually
would see:

MyColl.Move(
		FROM: integer; to: integer): TObject;

as you typed. I still prefer the named parameters but I've seen little
historical support for your statement that having a type system results in
less meaningful parameter names.