Translation: notes and enhancements

azazel azazel at lizard.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 25 15:36:08 UTC 2004

Hello squeakers!

I'm in the process of translating squeak messages to italian and i would like to share
my impressions about translations tools and facilities:

 - first of all, thanks guys! The english only language was really a
showstopper for the adoption of squeak as a tool in children's schools. Now a friend of
mine want to try it out in her classroom :-) if italian language is available so that's
why i'm translating it only now.

- second the Language Tool does a great job, even if i would appreciate a more keyboard
friendly navigation of the ui, but really i've still to find how to let the focus ignore
mouse pointer position, but without success. Also, the PluggableList "resets" their
scrolling if I,  for example, translate a sentence that's in the middle of the catalog.
I also tried to edit the saved file with the great emacs, but without success due to the
fact that the stream that really contanins some undred of strings contains also some
control characters ( i've still to check what's the marshalling tecnique used)

- I know how to translate but not how to packetize my product and
publish it on  SqueakMap, so it would be helpful for translators to have an help section
that explains how to do that thing. If you will answer that question here I will try to
add it to the tools and send my changes to the authors.

- I have spent also some hours trying to add a new feature to the tool but unfortunately
without success, but let me explain. It will take some time to translate all the strings
in the image ( the counter says that it knows about 850 string for now, and I've
translated one undred of them) so it would be nice to have the ability to translate
first the most used things  like supplies, world menu, ecc....With that in mind, i've
tried to add ad a functionality which use case is:

  - the user press a button or a key combination activating the
facility;
  - the hand changes the shape to note that activation;
  - the user which has the windows he needs to translate opened, clicks
on the windows ui;
  - if the morph under the hand is a StringMorph, intercept the event
and open up the translation FillInTheBlank with string's text in the query;
  - save the translation upon confirmation;

I've spent most of the hours on two things: trying to undersand all the translation code
and look for examples of "hand events hooking"
examples. For the first thing i've clearead my troubles, for the second thing i've still
to find anything useful, Am I thinking it the wrong way?

Have a good day

Alberto

--
Alberto Berti <alberto at metapensiero.it>