Case-logic/enumerated types

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Oct 28 10:02:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:34:27 -0400, <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> To be fair, a lot of people do it the other way too, though, and use
> symbols plus case statements.

Lex,

	The thoughtful reply is much appreciated. Also good to know that I'm not
completely alone. I have done it the OO way, though recently I've been
doing it with case statements. I probably should go back and do a few
opposite of the way I did it originally and see what I learn.

	Along similar lines, Meyer expressed disapproval for enumerated types,
yet they're one of the few things I consistently miss (in languages that
are not Pascal<s>). It still seems like it would be a useful thing to be
able to describe a sequence of values--particularly specific to a class
(which has always been the problem with Pascal enums)--and even named
constants.

	===Blake===