Gcc dependencies in VMMaker

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 29 20:26:10 UTC 2004

"Alejandro F. Reimondo" <aleReimondo at smalltalking.net> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
> I will try to explain the problems I have had. :-)
[snip]
> 4.- I pressed the "findPlatform" button and select the WinCE option.
> 5.- The box with title "Path to generated sources" does NOT change
>  to winCE and remain pointing to win32!!!
This is certainly a bit of a surprise and I'l see if I can fix it. What
is happening here depends upon not having a VMMaker subclass for wince
installed.

> 6.- so I decided to change(edit) the pane contents and change
>  path to existing wince directory.
> 7.- when running the vm generation without any plugin,
>  I've found that some files has been deleted (don't know
>  which files, but I don't want to try it now :-)
Yup - the 'normal' behaviour when generating the external plugins is to
delete any directories for which we are not going to make code, to
avoid stale code confusing the makefile on unix. With the confused
setup caused by no WinCEVMMaker class we can get to deleting all the
code... not very good.

> 8.- I repeated the procedure restarting from 0 twice...
> 9.- Then I want to inspect what's going on...
>
> I have found that when I change the last edit box
>  by hand  to winCE, whitout having the WinCEVMMaker
>  subclass defined, a new instance of VMMaker is created!!!
Absolutely. The default is always a plain VMMaker _unless_ a suitable
subclass is found when choosing the platform. A plain VMMaker is
(should be) perfectly able to build a VM.

With a WinCEVMMaker subclass installed it should all be ok. I'll see
what I can do to make it a bit safer anyway.

tim
Hex dump:  Where witches put used curses...