Unit tests failing in clean image

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Oct 31 05:02:30 UTC 2004

On Saturday, October 30, 2004, at 11:56 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> I should say that I like this kind of attitude :)
>> I just downloaded, unpacked and ran Squeak 3.7 for windows. I popped
>> open the SUnit test runner and ran the tests. A bunch of them failed
>> and some required me to manually intervene. Is this normal, or have I
>> done something wrong?
>>
>> If it is normal .... why? Is there anything I can do to fix it; other
>> than just deleting all of the tests - which seems wrong. I'm a
>> proponent of TDD and I can't live with a system where tests fail
>> every time I run them.
>
> What is need is a test server reporting bug and linking that to a
> mantis like bug report management system?
> but we do not have that :(
>
> Now we should really identify the ones that can be fixed and fix them
> so if you can comment/participate this would be great
> because we are a bit flooded in this moment.

One thing we might consider is adding something like this Expected
Failures enhancement to SUnit:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-July/
063931.html

Then we might categorize the long-standing bugs as expected failures,
and then we'd be more alert to new bugs that appear.  And the expected
failures list would represent a to-do list of bugs for anyone to work
on.  (Ideally the expected failures should show up somewhere in the
SUnit UI.)

Well, it's not a perfect solution, but IMO it *is* better than what we
have now.  Should we add this to the SUnit package?

- Doug