[Squeakmap] Statistics

Hernan Tylim htylim at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Sep 1 01:51:33 UTC 2004

> Well, how would it work? I mean... normally the server isn't
> involved at
> all when installations are made. And the client cache also makes sure
> installations can be made even if you aren't online.

Hi Göran,

The feature with I would be more than happy is just an HTTP request
counter for the files hosted on the SM Server.

I know that this will not work as an installation counter, only donwload
requests, but nevertheless I think this is a good info to have.

I also know that not all the packages are using the new SM file hosting
service. But why don't you look at this as a new feature of this
service. The packages which use your HTTP server will have this counter,
the ones who don't, well, not.

> But... the first thing that crosses my mind is that this is a very
> simple case of the more "broad" vision of a system I was blabbering
> about earlier - a publish/subscribe system for "developer events".
>
> The idea was that you set as Preferences what kind of "development
> events" you would like to broadcast. "Package installations" could be
> one of those.

I like how this sound. It's a lot more of what I asked, but I like it.
:)

> >     Note that I am not asking for any weird or complex
> statistic, just a
> > very simply counter to be able to have an idea if a package
> was installed.
>
> Yeah, well... I will see what I can do. I agree it would be nice to
> have.

Great, Thanks

Regards,
Hernán