package universes and filters question

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 2 23:07:45 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> But I still don't buy the "universe" idea. There are various reasons for
> this. One major reason is that I don't think we - the community - have
> the energy nor the actual need to maintain multiple universes that Lex
> is describing.

I never suggested maintaining multiple universes as a community, unless
you mean the multiple stable releases.  While the conversation never got
far enough, my working model has always been that there would be a main
development universe, plus frozen stable universes that get put out ever
year or so.  This organization would parallel the status quo, where
SqueakMap plus updates are used for development, and gamma images are
used for releases.

-Lex