[UPDATES] 11 for Squeak3.8alpha

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Sep 3 20:22:47 UTC 2004

These updates for 3.8alpha are all of the updates copied over from the
3.7gamma stream.

Ned & I determined that there weren't any real conflicts between these
updates and the m17n changes, so I'm just adding them to the 3.8alpha
stream before m17n goes in.  (There are just a few redundant updates in
m17n which could be removed now.)

This will make it easier for someone to upgrade from a 3.7 final image
to a 3.8alpha image.  Also, we'll be able to base Bruce's 3.8alpha
images uploaded to the ftp site on 3.7 (so the welcome window & content
is reasonably up to date)... right now they're based on 3.5 which is
pretty old.

- Doug

------------------------------

5977DefaultChangeSetName-nk -- Ned Konz -- 18 July 2004
Fixes a problem on the mac where the change set file out doesn't
auto-number correctly.

5978ViewerFontFixes-nk -- Ned Konz -- 12 July 2004
v2: fixed a typo in the postscript (md).
Two small changes for the EToy viewers:
- fix the 2-pixel offset in the left edge of the name tiles
- change the category button font to the Preferences standardButtonFont.
Contains a postscript that tries to change the look back to something
close to the old look.

5979NewParagraphComposeFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 23 June 2004
We have had the problem in the past with broken text morphs being
distributed in the image.
This change set adds a guard in NewParagraph to avoid the problems
caused by the (uncommon) case of a paragraph with inconsistent state.

5980TTCFontSizeRepair-nk -- Ned Konz -- 18 July 2004
The changes to the TTCFonts done in CS 5923PSPointSizeFix-nk didn't
clear out the derivative fonts cache.
This left some fonts with a discrepancy between the size of the regular
and bold derivatives.
Where this is noticeable is where you had a default font (perhaps the
window title font or the etoys font) set to a TTCFont (like
ComicSansMS).
This CS forces the TTCFonts with bad derivative sizes to rebuild
themselves.
This fixes a problem with the distribution image and also makes the old
windows look better. It cures the problem that we've seen with bad flap
and window title bar layout with some TTCFonts.
Then it does what it can to update all the users of those fonts.
As a side effect, it updates the buttons of old windows like the ones in
the distribution image.
It also fixes AbstractFont>>textStyle to always answer a TextStyle, even
if we have to create a new one. This avoids problems with some users of
#textStyle.

5981UndeclaredCleanup-dew -- Doug Way -- 22 July 2004
Delete 4 unused methods which reference nonexistent instance variables.
(They would have been removed already except that the SM installer
depended on Monticello (which is not part of the basic image yet in 3.7)
to correctly delete old methods.)"

5982SysWinInitLabelArea-dew -- Doug Way -- 29 July 2004
Simple cut & paste refactoring which splits out an initializeLabelArea
method called from SystemWindow>>initialze.  This makes regenerating
label areas (titlebars) on existing windows (e.g. for the gamma image
preparation) doable.
Also fixes centering of label in the titlebar, and only uses bold with
non-TT fonts for the window title (since the bold TT fonts are quite a
bit thicker/wider than bold strikefonts)."

5983PrepareReleaseImage-dew -- Doug Way -- 1 August 2004
Adds SmalltalkImage>>prepareReleaseImage which can be executed to
perform various cleanups in preparation for a gamma candidate release
image."

5984PrepareRelImageAdd-dew -- Doug Way -- 4 August 2004
A small addition to the SmalltalkImage>>prepareReleaseImage method, a
DoIt which executes 'SMSqueakMap default purge'."

5985FlapThumbnailLabels-dew -- Doug Way -- 4 August 2004
Fix the thumbnails labels in the flaps to be readable.  (Using a non-TT
font for the labels.)  Also regenerates flaps in the postscript so the
change takes effect."

5986CondenseSources-bg-dew -- Boris Gaertner and Doug Way -- 24 August
2004
Smalltalk condenseSources runs into an error that is caused by the fact,
that the SourceFileVersionString is stored at two places - in
SystemDictionary and in SmalltalkImage.  This proposal removes
SourceFileVersionString from SystemDictionary so that it's only stored
in SmalltalkImage.
Cleaned up for 3.7gamma. -dew"

5987TwoWayScrollComment-dew -- Doug Way -- 24 August 2004
Questions/problems have come up a few times recently about
TwoWayScrollPane, which is now obsolete.  This is simply a class comment
change which makes it clear that it is obsolete."