About BFAV 2.12

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sat Sep 4 21:08:19 UTC 2004

Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> On 2 sept. 04, at 20:59, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> >> Ok it  works!
> >> dependencies are really needed.......
> >
> > Stephane - if you read my reply you can see that this has nothing to do
> > with dependencies. :)
>
> Ok if you say so but why if I do not load the dependent packages of
> BFAV installer it does not work and when I load it it does. Ok I may be
> too binary :)

The reason is that when you manually install HTTPClient first - then I
think (well, before it got marked as available for 3.8) it asks you if
you really want to install it because it isn't for 3.8. You probably
said "Yes".

And then the loadscript of BFAV uses a method in SM that installs or
upgrades a package as needed - in this case that command would notice
HTTPClient is already installed and it would just keep going.

But if you do not install HTTPClient manually first the command in the
loadscript will try to install it - and it will barf with the error you
saw because that package wasn't available for your Squeak version (3.8).
Now - it can be argued if this is "good" behaviour of that command - but
that is how it works today anyway.

> > But I agree - dependencies are needed AND I am working on it. :)
>
> Excellent....

I have sent a BookMorph to Noury that he is free to use to present
SqueakMap (the ESUG awards) - but it is only 10 slides and it doesn't
explain where I am on dependencies. But just so you know - I have a few
unit tests (:-0) that are green on it!

> Too bad that you could not make it for esug because there was so much
> stuff I want to talk
> with you and others....

Yeah, well - just so you know - I do attend the IRC channel frequently.
And I really hope you guys will be there to "virtually connect" us who
can't attend the conference. Right now though I only hook up after 20.00
because that is when Maya goes to bed. :)

> By the way, dan really liked classboxes so we are producing a
> classboxified image :) and alex has now some really good perfs.

I really would want to send you guys my presentation on my namespaces
stuff. I will give it a shot the next few days to get it shaped up.

> Stef

regards, Göran