help build a stable universe

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Sep 5 15:12:58 UTC 2004

Let's put together a stable package universe for 3.7, and see how it
goes!  I think seeing Universes in action, even under a rushed release
schedule, would let people see why I think package universes are a good
artifact for us to develop and to rally around.  A stable 3.7 universe
would be a good starting point for users who want to play with Squeak,
and it would be a good basis for people building software on top of
Squeak; in both cases, users value stability over having the newest
software.

I have now created an initial universe to try out, but it needs your
help in order to get the rough edges smoothed off.  If you have a
package that you would like to be available in this stable universe,
then please check on it as follows:

	1. Install Universes 0.3 from squeakmap (don't get 0.2!).
	2. Execute the following command:

		UUniverse switchSystemToUniverse: UUniverse squeak37Universe

	3. "open" a Universes Browser
	4. "update list" to get the current list of packages.
	5. Scan for your package

If the entry for your package looks okay, then great!  If there is a
problem, then you can fix it as follows:

	1. "open" a Universes Editor.
	2. Enter a password for yourself in the password field, and click
"create account".
	3. Select either "new package" (if your package is outright missing) or
"new package version" (if your package entry just needs some tweaking).
	4. Update the fields as you desire and press "submit".

IN TWO WEEKS I will freeze this universe and close down edits, thus
making it a "stable" universe.  So don't daudle, lest a broken package
of yours become enshrined for months.

Lex