[ANN] Sqystone

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Sep 5 21:59:50 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Well, sometimes you gotta do something fun, right? :)

So... the Python community has something called "pystone" - it is quite
a trivial benchmark hack for Python that interestingly enough has been
translated from ADA -> C -> Python and now by me to Squeak! :)

So, without further ado, just install:

	http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/sqystone

...open a transcript and execute "Pystone run".

That should give a printout in a second with "pystones per second". I
got about 60000.

Then run pystone.py on your machine - I found it in
/usr/lib/python2.3/test/ and I ran it by "./pystone.py" and got about
34000.

Now, to be fair my Squeak VM has every GCC optimization that could fly -
and I think my Python 2.3.4 definitely has not. But anyway, by the first
look it seems my Squeak is almost 2x faster.

Now... take this with a BIG grain of salt. :) Some reasons:

1. To be fair both VMs should use the same GCC optimizations. I will see
if I can test that.
2. I haven't proof read my code, it could be botched somewhere. But I
don't think so since it was a "straight translation".
3. Don't know about GCs, not sure how Python handles it.
4. ...and probably 10 other things I have missed.

But...  muahahaha! Squeak rulez! ;)

regards, Göran