[BUG] Squeak 3.7 5988 Full - Object Catalog - Network DNU

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Sep 9 05:08:38 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, September 8, 2004, at 06:14 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> I'd be reluctant to add such a fix at this late stage, but if it is
>> the
>> cause of this problem, and the DosFileDirFullName problem did not
>> exist
>> in 3.6, it might be important enough to tack on to the 3.7 final
>> stream.  (As evidenced by two different people posting about the same
>> bug when asked to test today.)
>
> Holy bureaucracy. Something is really screwed up here. This fix is a)
> critical b) three lines long c) comes with a whole set of tests d) was
> reviewed e) was even approved ... and it took us from april (when I
> first
> posted the fix) to september to /not/ fix it? Anyone besides me
> thinking
> that there is something Really Wrong with the process?

a) If anyone had said that the fix was critical (in the thread), it
would be in 3.7.  It was approved late enough in 3.7 that only critical
fixes were going in at that point.  (And then 3.7 was delayed by the
Full image issues...)
b) Yes, there are some big problems with the current/old process and
we've discussed a new process here which is in the plan for 3.8 on the
swiki.  (In which people like Ned and other "masters" will be able to
put fixes like this directly into the update stream.)  So...... enough
bitching about the old process already!
c) The new process will require less effort on my part, which will be a
very good thing.  I still wouldn't mind passing along the release plan
duties to someone else sometime in the next year or so...
d) I'll include the fix as an update shortly.

- Doug