[BUG] Squeak 3.7 5988 Full - Object Catalog - Network DNU

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Sep 9 07:54:08 UTC 2004

Am 09.09.2004 um 00:14 schrieb Andreas Raab:

>> I'd be reluctant to add such a fix at this late stage, but if it is
>> the
>> cause of this problem, and the DosFileDirFullName problem did not
>> exist
>> in 3.6, it might be important enough to tack on to the 3.7 final
>> stream.  (As evidenced by two different people posting about the same
>> bug when asked to test today.)
>
> Holy bureaucracy. Something is really screwed up here. This fix is a)
> critical b) three lines long c) comes with a whole set of tests d) was
> reviewed e) was even approved ... and it took us from april (when I
> first
> posted the fix) to september to /not/ fix it? Anyone besides me
> thinking
> that there is something Really Wrong with the process?

There are multiple problems: The fix actualy was approved end of July,
when
we were "only days" from a release. Doug back then only wanted to add
fixes that were tagged as critical.
(This is only understandable if you take in account that there are over
150 Bug
reports and 100 Fixes pending, you realy can't know which one are
important and
which not without people telling so)

This needs to be fixed. Two things are critical: Formal Bugtracking
("This bug
is release critical"). Second: We won't go anywere with that huge
backlog of
stuff to look at.
I personaly put much too much work into fixing that already... it's
impossible
with the current number of people that are interested in helping to do
the
boring stuff. Even a new "process" wont help that much here...

The largest problem with 3.7 was the much to long phase from stopping
to add fixes to having the real release. This should not happen again.

But you need to keep in mind that there is a good cause for this: If
nobody does
the work that is needed to do a release, a release will not happen.

    Marcus