Some thoughts 3/3: About some look changes

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Sun Sep 12 12:18:23 UTC 2004

stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Diego is working on a new look and feel based on his experiences with
> users.
> You can see a preliminary results at:
> http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/234/squeak38.png

> I see the following alternative:
>     - (1) using this look as default
>     - (2) having it loadable as a separate package
>
> I favor (1)

I second this.

The flaps are still there but a menubar is added. This surely helps
newcomers to feel at home easily. Without a menu bar people
perceive Squeak more like a computer game which is fine for some users of
course. To have a menubar as a default is surely
to be preferred as everybody nowadays thinks a computer program
should have that. Contrariwise this is against the idea of a dyna notebook
where people start with empty pages. Finally one could
think of the menu bar beeing just a collection of predefined flaps.

In 3.7 we already have some of Diego's enhancements included.
They really help using Squeak in a more general context. The look
is now much neater.

Morphic Cleaning Project (MCP):

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3205 tells me that the first batch of
changes of the MCP have been included. The page seems to be no longer used
but obviously as
http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/234/squeak38.png
shows Diego and his crew made various improvements in the meantime.
Excellent!

Regards
Hannes