CampSmalltalk: Unstable stream opened for 3.8a

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 12 19:18:13 UTC 2004

Am 11.09.2004 um 21:49 schrieb Diego Gomez Deck:

>> Marcus what does exactly means unstable stream :)
>
> I second this question!

We sat at camp smalltalk on saturday, with 150 changesets that needed
to be put in the stream.
We were certain that we would need to try loading the stuff before
making it available.

There has always been a mechanism for testing new updates. We just made
that one available for
everyone to see. We think that this will be nice to have for any new
procedure that we establish in 3.8a.

Unstable means that your image may break in various unpleasant ways if
you choose to update from that.
For example, if you load updates from it right now, any flaps you might
have will be lost. Also, bringing up
an etoy viewer results in a walkback. So this is sort of a buffer to be
able to actually test the updates in the
  sequence that they will later be released.

The main intention is to create a "fast lane" to get fixes out at a
higher rate than was possible lately.
Harvesters could now directly post to the unstable stream when
approving a changeset. In a sense,
you could call it the "harvesting" stream.
  It's similar to the SqC internal update stream which reportedly worked
very well.

> What is the procedure to follow with the new unstable update stream?

What about that one:

The harvesting process stays exactly as it was until now, except for
the new ability for the
  harvesters to directly push an approved update into the unstable
update stream.
The Master Harvester (Doug) still needs to move the updates over to the
regular
stream when a few days have gone by without anyone noticing bad
conflicts.

Until BFAV is extended to do this automatically, you as a harvester
have to do this:

	- save the changeset, uncompress it if necessary
	- make sure the changeset does only have one dot in the name (remove
the version number, xyz.1.cs becomes xyz.cs)
	- choose "broadcast as update" in the file list (not yet tested... ;-))
	- select the "unstable" server
	- enter the password
	- if all goes well, the changeset will have got a number and a file
Unstableupdates.list.prior is in your image directory.

and then of course

	- check your stuff by updating a vanilla image.

That would be a first step. Another thing we discussed was that it
might be nice to give certain trusted developers (e.g. the squeakland
developers) direkt access to the unstable stream without having to go
through the reviewing process.