Some thoughts 2/3: Preparing 3.9

danielv at tx.technion.ac.il danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Sun Sep 12 20:11:21 UTC 2004

I think that we should also include Monticello as a package in 3.8/3.9.
I see two reasons to do this, one short term one long term.
1. That way users of Squeak package that are maintained using MC don't
have extra barriers to becoming contributors. The immidiate possibility
of being active is IMO an important value in Smalltalk.
2. It is key to our attempts to improve the modularity situation. TFNR
partitioning of the image is only useful if the tools are there to
actually manage changes to the system along package boundaries. With the
current tools in the image, they are essentially inert. MC is not ready
yet to be used for managing all of Squeak as a bunch of packages, but
from some testing I've done during CampSmalltalk, it isn't that far
away. Giving it more visibility and more usage will help get it there
faster, and we should also start getting more familiarity in the
community with this way of working.

We should start the integration of the tool early, even if its not
perfect and completely ready, so we can co-adapt to it over time.

Note that its mere inclusion doesn't force any changes in the way people
do anything.

Daniel Vainsencher