Christian Mascher <christian.mascher@gmx.de>

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Sep 13 10:09:02 UTC 2004

On 11/09/04 19:46, "Christian Mascher" <christian.mascher at gmx.de> wrote:

> Everyone,  thank you for your quick replies!
>
>>> (Christian Mascher wrote:)
>>> Putting all four files into every individual students home-directory
>>> would obviously work, but then I would have to give them much more
>>> disk space, which I feel should not be necessary, as the bulk of the
>>> image and the .exe-file are the same for everybody.
>
> Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> wrote:
>> The VM (.exe) and sources (SqueakV3.sources) are read-only and can be
>> shared. What you need for every student is an image and changes file
>> (these always go together). The image is not the same for everyone
>> because it is a snapshot of the "living" object memory, and the
>> changes are obviously different.
>
> I had read about this in Mark Guzdials Book, but thanks for spelling
> this out for a newbie.
>
>> You can reduce the size of the changes file, however, which tracks the
>> changes in source code relative to the sources file. So just do a
>> "Smalltalk condenseSources", which moves all changes to the sources
>> file, and updates the source pointers in the image correspondingly.
>> The resulting sources, image, and changes (which are only a few bytes
>> after the process) you can put onto the server. Every student then
>> needs to copy image+changes into her directory.
>
> Great. That was  exactly the information I was asking for. Thank you.
>
> Alan Kay wrote:
>> Why not try to at least give them as much disk
>> space as they need, and individual laptops would be even better
> (since > much of the best student work will be done outside of the
> classroom).
>
> Well, sure, I will have to be more generous with server disk-space
> <wink> when using squeak. 21 students' images will probably be no
> problem even given our quite full /home, but it is a difference compared
> to when using other languages, say python, where the individuals only
> save source (text-)files which take up hardly no space.
>
> Not arguing with the smalltalk way of doing this, only up to now, my
> students didn't need a starting point of 15 MB in their home.
>
> The problem is probably that computers in a school-lab are no real
> _personal_ computers (because they are used by so many different users).
> Individual laptops would be. And squeak is designed for a true personal
> computer.
>
>> And out of curiosity: What school are you from? Also you might want to
>> join the German Squeak mailinglist (see squeak.de).
>
> I'm at Christian-Rohlfs-Gymnasium, Hagen/Westfalen. I will take a look.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christian
Christian:
I could help in two areas , if you are interested.
I have SqueakLight, what is Squeak 3.6 reduced to about 4 mb and what still
have most Morphic .
To teach how Squeak performs, I think is a valuable tool, and could have
four times more images.
And I have a beginners group, SqueakRos and a couple of tutorials. (Mostly
in Spanish)
http://ar.geocities.com/edgardec2001/Welcome.html