How do I get the Scaling Halo handle

darius at inglang.com darius at inglang.com
Wed Sep 15 08:00:02 UTC 2004

Hi, Scott,

Thanks again. That does clarify some points.

However...

> (3)  Note, finally, that manipulating #scaleFactor in an object's
> *viewer* (found in the "geometry" category,) or in a script, will
> also preserve aspect ratio for any morph.

This is the first solution I turned to (being a programmer :-). However, A
playfield scaled by its viewer's #scaleFactor behaves strangely when its
submorphs are move around in it. It keeps reapplying the scale factor
everytime
the submorph is move (until the submorph shrinks to oblivion!). I put several
polygon morphs in the playfield so I could shrink them all at once with the
#scaleFactor.

Here's a link to a project with a new flap "Patterns". In the flap you'll find
some sketch buttons. There is also a playfield button. Drag it out to the
desktop. Then just move the polygons around in it and watch them shrink.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dariusnet/FigureTiles.002.pr

> I've always thought this to be pretty strange, but that's the way
> it's always been, since the dawn of generic rotation in Morphic
> nearly seven years ago :-)

When I ask for help on this mailing list, I always keep in mind how I would
explain the community’s answer to my children, students, and other teachers.
I'd be very embarrassed to explain this to them about a learning environment
I'm trying to promote as a learning environment.

Cheers,
Darius