CampSmalltalk: Unstable stream opened for 3.8a

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 15 14:09:42 UTC 2004

Am 15.09.2004 um 15:44 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> Exactly my point is that I do not want to wait that all the pending
> stuffs are done to start having
> a new kernel in which we can have fun. So I would like to have the
> same process that we got before
> with some KCP streams.

Ok, yes. That is correct... I hope that we as the KCP group can commit
directly to the unstable stream.
We are at least 3 here, so for the not that complex stuff (and
especially fixes to bugs that we add) this
will help.

For the real complex stuff, we should try to use the scheme that worked
in 3.7: After discussion/tests are over,
declare a temporary freeze of some days, and get the stuff in.

Of course, we need to think about what kind of changes we want in
3.8... As much as I'm in the "lets change
everything" camp, maybe for 3.8 we should be a bit cautious, as this
will be the release that a lot of projects
will depend on for a while.

So I would like to move 3.8 to beta as soon as possible, and then
concentrate to do the cool stuff in 3.9.

I am not realy happy with that, as it is booring, and it is actualy
quite the opposite of what I need for my stuff.
Maybe I would feel better If those who realy need that stable version
would a) tell so and b) would put in some time ?

For those in need of stability: Maybe one idea would be if those could
step forward and just *do* the 3.8 release.
That is, get the harvested stuff in, harvest some more, declare a beta,
coordinate the beta and gamma phase,
help with the full image... the only reason why 3.7 took so long was
that everybody involved does not
care if the release is done today or next week, because they don't need
it.

       Marcus