Thank you!

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sat Sep 18 18:51:59 UTC 2004

Dear harvesters,

This weekend I built myself a new Celeste image from the stable 3.7 full
image and also a new 3.8alpha image with all updates from the unstable
stream. I wanted to say thank you to all of you who put that much effort
into harvesting for 3.7 and now 3.8alpha!

I am afraid that nowadays I have even less time for Squeak than it used
to be the case. I use up most of this time for reading the mailing list.
I would like to be more helpful but I am not sure how to contribute best
given my time constraints.

Although I am an experienced Smalltalk developer I feel fairly
unproductive in Squeak. Often I start doing something but then trip over
some unrelated problems. Suddenly the time I have is over. Probably I am
not the only one in this situation. Therefore it might be a good
strategy to decrease the time it takes to make a useful contribution. I
do not pretend to know how to achieve this. Maybe by putting more
emphasis on quality, e.g. prioritising fixes over enhancements? Slow
down a little? Any other ideas?

Currently, the main bottleneck seems to be in harvesting, i.e. in moving
fixes and enhancements from reviewed to approved. Is that a correct
observation? If yes, is there some way to help with that other than
becoming a harvester? What do you consider the best way to contribute
for someone with an hour here and there?

Thanks again to all the contributors for such an inspiring piece of
software!

- Bernhard