Thank you!

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Sep 18 18:32:06 UTC 2004

Hi bernhard

Marcus is checking how we could have an easier way to push the change
into the update stream.
Right now we have to connect to ftp, download a file, edit the file,
upload it, rename the cs, upload it.
We will be more to push items in the unstable streams.

Bernhard, what you can do is:
	- participate to an open project:
		- squeaksource, seaside, ...
	- help writing some tests for certain parts of the system
	- reviewing fixes and enh
	- identify and fix ugly or dead code in the image

But the most important is that you stay with us and have fun.

> Although I am an experienced Smalltalk developer I feel fairly
> unproductive in Squeak. Often I start doing something but then trip
> over
> some unrelated problems. Suddenly the time I have is over. Probably I
> am
> not the only one in this situation. Therefore it might be a good
> strategy to decrease the time it takes to make a useful contribution. I
> do not pretend to know how to achieve this. Maybe by putting more
> emphasis on quality, e.g. prioritising fixes over enhancements? Slow
> down a little? Any other ideas?

Fixes are always prioritized but you need to be an expert or you should
have a test at hand or
simply trust the person who did it.

> Currently, the main bottleneck seems to be in harvesting, i.e. in
> moving
> fixes and enhancements from reviewed to approved. Is that a correct
> observation?

There were two problems:
	- we were waiting for the m17n
	- doug was the only one to do the tedious (move to update stream)
	- now we will be more (ned, diego, marcus, me) and I hope that marcus
	will be able to make the process more tool based :)
	- doug from time to time will simply push changes from one stream to
the others

>  If yes, is there some way to help with that other than
> becoming a harvester? What do you consider the best way to contribute
> for someone with an hour here and there?

Reviewing is already important. Writing tests when they are missing.